By using generic mains cables, you are comprising the performance of your audio equipment. How? Well, the mains supply that you receive in your home, is heavily polluted, by many types of interference, the most common being RFI (Radio Frequency Interface) & EMI (Electro magnetic interference).
Why does this happen?
There are several reasons why the mains supply becomes so polluted. To fully understand the reasons why, we first must look at the source of the mains supply. Typically electricity will be generated at a power plant, that can miles away from home.
Of course in order to get from the power plant to your home, it has to pass through several different components,including electricity sub stations, transformers, high voltage electricity lines, and finally the electricity line that connects to your home. Throughout this journey, many things will have been picked up, most importantly in this case, RFI & EMI. This could be down to a number of reasons, even simply everyday devices such as mobile phones, or other wireless devices give off RFI & EMI which can be picked up in the power supply, and in the atmosphere. Therefore by the time the electricity has reached your Hi Fi system, it isnâ€™t getting the clean, pure supply it needs to perform to its true potential.
But possibly the main culprit for this â€œdirtyâ€ signal, is the other electrical components in your own home. Each of these components consume huge amounts of current, particularly high consumption components such as washing machines, fridges etcâ€¦
Again think of all the wireless devices in your own home, wireless routers, mobile phones, WiFi boosters etc.. all are again polluting the mains supply, and increasing the amount of RFI & EMI in your homes mains supply.Â
Thats where Titan Audio Mains Cables comes inâ€¦
Contrary to typical opinion, mains cables are one of the most cost effective ways of improving your sound, and reducing the amount of RFI & EMI both in the mains supply & airborne. We have all heard of power conditioners, both passive & regenerators, however while these devices to help with the aforementioned problems, they can drastically reduce current delivery to your system, therefore stopping one problem, but creating another.
Some of the problems caused by â€œdirtyâ€ mains include high energy spikes (causing contact arcing, which resembles a clicking sound), lose of detail due to broadband noise, or distortion in the mains supply due to industrial loads. Many of the effects produced by these include bloated bass, distortion, brightness in the high frequency, three dimensional depth reduction and poor imaging. You might be thinking that you donâ€™t hear any of these things, so your system must not be effected, well once you add a mains cable, all will become apparent, suddenly your system will open up with superior dynamics, tighter bass, sweeter treble and improved depth and imaging. All this can be achieved by simply using a mains cable on one component, and you will hear the difference immediately. Naturally adding them to all components will offer the best sound, however we have seen huge improvements particularly in integrated / power amplifiers. This is due to the amount of interference you can remove, but also by the current delivery that the mains cable can give to your amplifier.
Simply put, these are the key things which can mains cables important.
- The conductive material in the cable
- The dialectic (insulating material)
- The screening of the cable
- The type of plugs used
- Cryogenic Treatment of components
- Arrangement of the cable
- Protective sheathing
- Length of the cable
Not so simply put:
1. Choosing the material in the cable is arguably the most significant part of its design. It takes rigorous testing, and a considerable amount of time to choose the conductors. Titan Audio a number of different types of conductors, depending on the application, and cost of the cable. Naturally a silver cable is going to be more expensive than a copper cable, however even the least expensive cable in our range uses an exceptionally high purity oxygen free copper. In the more expensive cables of the range, the cable is not only high purity oxygen free but also single crystal. Standard copper wire consists of millions of crystals, which can be seen below, with the flow electricity having to pass through each of these individual crystals, reducing the flow of electrons through the cable. Single crystal cable however is one continuous crystal from start to finish, therefore the flow of electrons is unhindered on its way to your hi fi unit. This results in improved detail retrieval, substantial dynamic gains and less distortion in the frequency extremes.
2. The dialectic material covering the cable is a huge part of the construction. All Titan Audio Mains Cables use a PTFE dialectic as after rigorous testing we believe this to be the optimum material to achieve the best results. The more expensive cables (Eros, Nemesis, Ajax, Nemesis Signature) use a micro porous PTFE teflon dialectic, which provides the next best alternative to air, which is the ultimate dietetic
3. All Titan Mains cables use a minimum of two different types of screening to reduce both EMI & RFI. A foil screen, and an earth drain wire, is used on the entry level cables. The Elektra, Ajax & Eros cables use an extra screen, with the Nemesis & Nemesis Signature using individual screens on all conductors, as well as the earth drain wire. The Nemesis & Nemesis Signature cables are also then braided to aid in the reduction of airborne RFI.
4. Plugs are one of the most important aspects of the cables overall performance. Not only do they have to provide good quality contact and fit, but must not hinder the flow of electricity in any way. All Titan Mains Cables are cryogenically treated to enhance conductivity. Many of the models feature gold plated and/or rhodium contacts.
5. As mentioned previously, the cryogenic freezing of components greatly improves the conductivity of that component. The reason behind this is that cryogenically freezing the components, in liquid nitrogen ( without making any physical contact) at -310F results in the material coming to a â€œrelaxedâ€ state, removing the stresses & mechanical load on those components. Exposing the metal components to extreme temperatures, in this case freezing, causes the metal to shrink. This striking effect causes the crystal boundaries to move closer together, and align, thus increasing the conductivity.
6. The arrangement or placing of the cables conductors can have a dramatic effect on the sonic performance. Titan Cables have been developed over many years to find the best solutions possible to the increase the flow of electrons, and reduce RFI & EMI.
7. Protective Sheathing has of course an aesthetic quality, however it does much more than that. Protecting the PTFE covering & the cable itself, increasing its life span, while also protecting the insulators, foils and other components.
8. Exhaustive tests have proved that the ideal length of a mains cable is 1.5 metres. Naturally you would imagine shortening the cable would have sonic benefits, in theory shortening the length, reduces the distance the signal has to travel, however testing showed that 1.5 m was the optimal length to achieve the most sonic benefits.